Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Proclaimers - Edinburgh - 2003

21st December 2003

Edinburgh Corn Exchange



This was a second Proclaimers' gig in quick succession, but the difference this time around was that C&C were promoting a new album: the really rather fine Born Innocent set.

The strong title track opened the concert, and I can clearly remember the “Duane-Eddy” ones (Hate My Love and You Meant It Then) putting in appearances not long after.  Album producer Edwyn Collins, I am guessing, may have been behind putting the twang into these two songs.

The witty Role Model (for Victoria Beckham?) was also aired, as was the Boys’ cover of The Vogue’s Five o’Clock World; the latter a composition seemingly written for Craig and Charlie to interpret.

My personal fave from the new album – the darkly insightful No Witness – regretfully was not performed, I don’t think.

All the biggies from previous albums were played to the usual acclaim, with (if memory serves), me personally getting to hear My Old Friend The Blues for the first time.  I have never discovered what Steve Earl thought of the Proclaimers’ take on his song, but it would not surprise me if he occasionally reflects “Hmmm, now that is how I should have sung it”

One cover we didn’t get was Waiting For a Train.  

A decade on I am still waiting. 






No comments:

Post a Comment